Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Medical Assistant|
|Organization:||Planned Parenthood of Illinois|
|Region:||DC Metro Region|
|Description:||Description: *Please note: Multiple opportunities available in several locations! Please visit our website at www.ppil.org and click in the "Jobs" section on the right to apply for the best location for you!
Reproductive Health Assistant I/Float Reproductive Health Assistant I
1. Practice a customer-oriented approach to health care delivery. Ensure through a professional and open manner that each patient receives the care and information she needs.
2. In accordance with CLIA and OSHA guidelines, demonstrate proficiency in use of autoclave and routine laboratory tests, such as phlebotomy, Urine GC/CT, Rapid HIV, pregnancy tests, and Hemocue.
3. Demonstrate proficiency while performing check-in duties, schedule patient appointments using Appointment Requestor, maintain medical records and logs, and otherwise respond to patient inquiries and needs.
4. Participate in health center efforts:
- for compliance with organizational quality assurance guidelines and pertinent government regulations including OSHA and CLIA
- in achievement of medical visit and productivity goals
- in attainment of annual health center fiscal goals in revenue, expenses, and contribution margin
5. Assist in the provision of contraceptive supplies, and provide information and instructions for their use, as appropriate and delegated by the Health Center Manager and medical staff.
6. In compliance with OSHA and CLIA guidelines, provide recovery room assistance (as applicable), contraception education, and appropriate documentation.
7. Assist in the clerical and informational tasks related to proper follow-up of patients according to the protocols and procedures of PPIL.
8. Be responsible for the maintenance of an efficient, clean and comfortable Health Center facility.
9. Participate, as assigned, in routine Health Center chart audits and quality assurance procedures.
10. Provide support and direction to Health Center volunteers as needed and directed by the Health Center Manager.
11. Take personal responsibility to remain informed about family planning methods, abortion and other services offered by PPIL, and PPIL protocols, policies and procedures, to give regular feedback to the Health Center Manager regarding training and continuing education needs.
12. Through these activities demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to PPIL core values of respect, knowledge, responsibility, health, compassion and access; practice these values in relations with internal and external customers.
13. Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel and reach. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Supervisor: Health Center Manager
Status: Full time. Non-exempt from the overtime provisions of the wage and salary regulations.
High School Diploma or GED. Certified Medical Assistant or equivalent experience required. Additional training and/or education in reproductive health is desirable.
Previous professional experience with the provision of family planning services is preferred. Previous medical laboratory and/or counseling experience desirable, as well as familiarity with computer databases.
Personal & Professional Qualities:
Commitment to the efficient and customer-oriented provision of services, as well as a commitment to the operating goals of Planned Parenthood of Illinois.
Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate with patients, the public, staff, and volunteers in a professional, warm, and sensitive manner.
High energy level, organizational skills and attention to detail required. Willingness to participate in a team approach to health care.
Must be willing and able to work a schedule that may include evening and weekend hours, and to work at other PPIL centers if needed.
Planned Parenthood is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, size, physical ability or socioeconomic status. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.