Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Executive Director|
|Organization:||NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina|
|Description:||NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina seeks a dynamic and skilled Executive Director to lead the organization in fulfilling its mission to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee every woman the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive health choices, including, yet not limited to, preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion.
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina (an affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America) is a grassroots 501(c)(4) lobbying organization. Two additional affiliated organizations help advance the NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina mission. The NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation, a 501(c)(3), conducts education and research intended to increase public awareness of relevant reproductive health care issues. The NARAL Pro-Choice NC PAC, a state political action committee, conducts direct electoral work with and for pro-choice candidates. The Executive Director is responsible for programmatic, financial and administrative management of NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina and its affiliated organizations.
In addition to overall responsibility for day-to-day operations and programs, the Executive Director will be expected to play a strong, visible, and strategic role in developing and implementing plans to promote pro-choice legislation and policies and to elect pro-choice candidates across the state. Effective fundraising for all three organizations, utilizing a variety of strategies, is an essential part of this job, as is development and management of a talented staff team.
- Serve as the face and voice of a prominent, statewide reproductive justice organization.
- Maintain leadership position with pro-choice coalition and positive relationships with allies including NARAL Pro-Choice America and its affiliates.
- Provide thoughtful leadership and vision to work with the Boards of Directors to set the strategic direction, priorities and policies for the organizations.
- Develop, organize, and motivate staff in ways that result in consistent high levels of performance.
- Maintain and deepen relationships with current donors, and create meaningful relationships with new donors.
- Oversee all development activities including membership, direct mail, phone solicitation, events, major donor, sponsorships, foundation and all other revenue-generating programs.
- Serve as primary ambassador at events and with major donors.
- Proactively direct all aspects of grant research, drafting, reporting, and compliance.
Public Affairs and Advocacy
- Develop and maintain relationships with policy makers and government leaders in order to build our reputation and advocate for NARAL NC's mission.
- Act as chief lobbyist for organization, or oversee contract lobbyist, during North Carolina legislative sessions.
- Be an effective messenger and advocate for the entire pro-choice movement in NC.
- Effectively engage media at every level and work to develop and drive communications that engage and educate our members and the general public.
- Direct coalition building and other relationship building efforts across NC.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of NARAL Pro-Choice NC and its affiliated organizations.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, evaluate and empower staff in a supportive manner and in accordance with organizational policies.
- Identify and foster opportunities for staff leadership and professional development.
- When necessary and appropriate, identify, retain and manage legal counsel, accountants, auditors, consultants and other service providers.
- Develop, implement and manage budgets.
- Provide financial oversight and management of organization, including compliance with financial controls and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Work with bookkeeper to prepare and interpret financial reports for the Board of Directors and ensure that finances are independently reviewed and audited on a periodic basis.
Candidates must have a strong commitment to reproductive justice and the mission of NARAL Pro-Choice NC.
Education & Knowledge
- A bachelor's degree is required, masters or professional degree preferred.
- Significant knowledge of reproductive justice issues.
- High level of understanding of public policy, preferably within the context of North Carolina.
- Successful track record in nonprofit and/or political fundraising.
- Minimum of 5 years of public policy, lobbying, communications, or political campaign experience (preferably all).
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience in hiring and/or supervising staff and volunteers.
- Experience in budgeting and financial management.
- Above average computer competency, including experience with databases and new media.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Strong familiarity with grassroots organizing strategies.
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communications skills.
- Political savvy and the ability to build and maintain diverse coalitions.
- A clear understanding of a broad and diverse member base and how to achieve it.
- Success at keeping multiple projects organized.
- Capacity for strategic thinking and long-term organizational planning.
- Ability to manage the finances of a small organization.
- An understanding of multi-entity nonprofits (c4/c3/PAC structure).
- Ability to gain and maintain confidence of Executive Committee, Board, and key stakeholders.
- High personal and professional ethical standards.
- Flexibility to work occasional weekends/evenings.
- Ability to travel across the state as needed, occasional national travel.
Salary and Benefit Information
- Salary is low- to mid-50s.
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- Benefits include health and dental insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, three references, and a cover letter clearly explaining why you want to lead NARAL Pro-Choice NC, to the Search Committee at jobs@ProChoiceNC.org. This position will remain open until filled. Only electronic applications will be accepted. No calls or faxes please.
NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina embraces the great diversity of North Carolina in its staff and program initiatives. NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer and recruits qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, religion, age, sex, marital status, parenting status, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other class protected by State, Federal, or Local Laws.