Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Legal Assistant|
|Organization:||National Center for Lesbian Rights|
|Description:||The National Center for Lesbian Rights seeks a highly-skilled, enthusiastic, diligent, and motivated individual for a full-time legal assistant position in our San Francisco office. The legal assistant will work as a member of the legal staff, under close supervision of the attorneys and program staff.
The legal assistant's duties will include:
- Maintaining the litigation docket;
- Maintaining case files in paper and electronic form;
- Assisting with legal department hiring processes;
- Editing and formatting pleadings;
- Cite-checking briefs;
- Assisting with court filings, including compliance with court rules;
- Copying and scanning of documents;
- Updating and assisting with distribution of NCLR publications;
- Tracking and mailing program materials; and
- Various administrative tasks, including ordering and stocking office supplies, scheduling and handling miscellaneous items regarding legal staff meetings, and assisting attorneys and other legal staff on an as needed basis.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- Minimum education: Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university;
- Very strong technology skills. Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access. Experience with creating tables of authorities in Microsoft Word strongly preferred; experience with Westlaw, Lexis and Word Perfect a plus;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Bi- or multi-lingual a plus.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Committed to social justice and enthusiastic about NCLR's mission and programs;
- Well-organized, able to multi-task, a fast learner, and detail-oriented;
- Able to take initiative and to work well under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Flexible and able to function independently and as a member of a team;
- Willing to work late hours when necessary; and
- Able to interact well with co-workers, clients, co-counsel, and outside callers.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience within the guidelines of NCLR's scale. This is a non-exempt position. Benefits are highly competitive.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. To apply for the position, please email a cover letter and resume
National Center for Lesbian Rights
870 Market Street, Suite 370
San Francisco, CA 94102
Fax: (415) 392-8442
No telephone calls please.
The National Center for Lesbian Rights is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, LGBT persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.