Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Organization:||Texas American Federation of Teachers|
|Description:||Texas AFT is seeking full-time Organizers based out of our Regional offices (Panhandle/El Paso, Dallas/East Texas, Houston, Central Texas, and the Rio Grande Valley).
Join the fight. Our public schools are under attack and the voices of teachers are being silenced. Educators need dedicated organizers willing to fight for workplace rights, great public schools for our kids, and strong communities.
Texas AFT is leading innovative campaigns to bring a united voice to educational employees across Texas. Texas AFT is a member-driven and progressive union.
Texas AFT seeks organizers, of all experience levels, that are ready to be part of a large team running organizing campaigns that help educators win a strong voice for their profession, schools and communities.
This job requires long and irregular hours, some weekend work, and travel.
JOB OPENING: Full-time Organizers
TO APPLY: Send resume, cover letter, and at least three professional references
DEADLINE TO APPLY: July 15 or until positions filled
- Dedication to social and economic justice
- Willing to work long and irregular hours
- Possession of an insured vehicle and valid driver?s license
- Ability to work with individuals different from one?s self
- Some experience in community, student, labor, or environmental activism is a plus
- Bilingual, especially Spanish/English, is a plus
We provide rigorous on-the-job training on how
- Plan and lead an effective organizing drive.
- Educate workers and build support for the union.
- Conduct successful organizing conversations in a range of situations and neutralize employer misinformation.
- Overcome the challenges you will face in the organizing process.
- Work as a vital member of an organizing team that helps build unions that make a difference for our schools, our kids and our future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take direction from the Regional Coordinator and the Lead Organizer on daily and weekly activities to grow AFT membership in the assigned school districts
- Make appointments for school visits, one-on-one visits, and other interaction with members and potential members in assigned school districts to make assessments
- Attend daily and weekly meetings with supervisors to discuss progress and make plans
- Enter assessments and other data collected in a database on a weekly basis
- Occasionally, be assigned to other parts of the state or country as required for short periods of time
The Organizer position makes $40,000/year with a benefits package governed by a collective bargaining agreement. Some positions start August 6, 2012.
Classroom educators, women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.