Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Summit Intern|
|Organization:||Out & Equal|
|Description:||Out & Equal Workplace Advocates
Job Title: Summit Intern
Reports Director of Events
Classification: Part-time, Non-Exempt
Start date: July 30, 2012
End date: November 30, 2012
Out & Equal is the preeminent national organization devoted to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community in the workplace. Headquartered in San Francisco, the organization's goal is to provide services and programs that promote workplace equality for LGBT individuals, their families, and their allies. Out & Equal's vision is workplace equality for all regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, expression or characteristics. This is a great opportunity to join a team of dedicated professionals who share a commitment and connection to a meaningful mission. For more information, visit our website www.outandequal.org.
Out & Equal's mission of LGBT workplace equality presents an unparalleled opportunity for the successful candidate to advance LGBT workplace equality by working with a highly successful organization that is experiencing rapid, yet structured growth.
The Summit Intern will provide support to the Events Department in the planning and execution of Out & Equal's annual Workplace Summit, which will take place in Baltimore, October 29-November 1, 2012. Key duties include providing administrative support, handling attendee, vendor and volunteer inquiries, producing Summit content such as print materials and video, and supporting the tactical implementation of Summit-related events.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Events Department
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic and self-motivated team-player with experience or interest in planning events and working with volunteers. Additional requirements include:
- Assist Events Department staff in compiling reports for the 2012 Summit
- Helping communicate Summit information to staff, consultants, key volunteers, and constituents
- Creating and updating reports for Summit staff
- Representing Out & Equal at public functions as required by the supervisor
- Responding to inquiries about the annual Summit, including phone and email follow-up with Summit participants and volunteers
- Actively participating in Summit and staff meetings
- Providing administrative support to Summit staff to include the copying and filing of department documents
- Assist on multiple Summit projects
- Online research as needed
- Create and update detailed event and staff schedules as requested
- Work effectively with other departmental staff on Summit-related tasks
- Compile packets and help write communications for the Summit volunteer program
- Produce comprehensive and individualized Summit handbooks for each staff member
- Assist with copy-editing and mail merges for the Summit workshops
- Provide on-site support/information for volunteers, presenters, and general attendees
- Catalog Summit & Events media materials
- Update and compile printed and online Summit evaluations
- Must be willing and available to travel to Baltimore for the Summit, October 27-November 2, 2012, if requested and at Out & Equal's expense.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates should be a recent undergraduate or currently enrolled in a graduate program and have knowledge of, comfort with, and interest in creating fair and equitable workplaces for LGBT people. Candidates should also have some familiarity with LGBT issues, research, and a database system.
- Positive outlook, enthusiasm, and high energy
- Self-motivated, with ability to lead, as well as to function as a dependable team player
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Proficiency with MSWord, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook. The office is a PC environment.
- Experience managing large groups (more than 15) of volunteers or staff
- Excellent (oral/written/interpersonal) communication skills
- Experience with movie making software such as iMovie, as well as Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat preferred
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS
This intern position requires frequent computer use and occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The intern must be willing and available to travel to Baltimore for the Summit, October 27-November 2, 2012, if requested.
Send resume with cover letter and include the position to which you are applying (in subject line) firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to Out & Equal Workplace Advocates, FAX (415) 694-6530. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE. Internship duration is for 4 months beginning July 30, 2012, and ending November 30, 2012.
Persons of color, women, and transgender individuals strongly encouraged to apply.
Out and Equal Workplace Advocates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on any of the following: race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or gender characteristics, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.