Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Pretrial Specialist, New Orleans Office|
|Organization:||Vera Institute of Justice|
|Description:||The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is an independent, non-partisan, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, technical assistance, and demonstration projects to assist leaders in government and civil society examine justice policy and practice, and improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Vera?s New Orleans office is seeking another Pretrial Specialist for New Orleans Pretrial Services, which the office administers. New Orleans Pretrial Services will soon commence formal operations, serving the Criminal District Court. Using objective criteria, the program will provide assessment of defendants in the criminal justice system to aid the court in making appropriate pretrial release and detention decisions, and will provide supervision services that support the release of additional persons and reduce the risk of failure to appear or re-arrest. The Pretrial Specialists will assess defendants before their first appearances by conducting interviews and verifying the information provided by defendants, and will provide supervision of released defendants.
The Pretrial Specialist?s duties include the following:
- Interview defendants before first appearance to gather information on community ties, such as residence and employment;
- Telephone defendants? families, friends, and employers to verify residence and employment information provided during interviews;
- Prepare, review, and summarize defendants? criminal history records;
- Prepare report to the court with risk assessment and respond to inquiries from the court;
- Maintain contact with released defendants to remind of court appearances;
- Facilitate return to court for defendants missing court appearances;
- Input and maintain accurate data related to pretrial services; and
- Participate in the development of New Orleans Pretrial Services.
Candidates must possess the following:
- Bachelor?s degree or greater;
- Three years of relevant experience preferred;
- Interest in social justice, commitment to fairness, and demonstrated knowledge of criminal justice issues;
- Extremely strong work ethic and a commitment to working within a team;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work efficiently under strict time constraints; and ability and willingness to work in a correctional facility, with persons in distress, under stressful circumstances;
- Experience working with system-involved individuals strongly preferred; and
- Fluency in Spanish, Vietnamese or American Sign Language desired.
Work will consist of variable hours, including possibly nights, early mornings and/or weekends.
Commensurate with experience, mid to upper 30?s. Excellent benefits.
Please submit cover letter and resume.
Online submission is preferred
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / NOLA Pretrial Specialist Recruitment Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Flr.
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail or fax).
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera and its work in New Orleans, please visit www.vera.org.