Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Communications Manager|
|Organization:||ACLU of Kentucky|
|Description:||The American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky Foundation (ACLU-KY) is pleased to announce the newly created position of Communications Manager. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Communications Manager is responsible for planning, supervising and executing the ACLU of Kentucky?s communications strategies. The Communications Manager will be charged to expand the visibility of the ACLU-KY statewide; to effectively convey the breadth of our work to the general public; and to strengthen the links between the ACLU-KY and its supporters.
With an annual combined budget of $500,000, the ACLU of Kentucky and its Foundation operate jointly as private, non-profit organizations. We are the state affiliate of the nation?s oldest and largest organization devoted to the protection and advancement of civil rights and civil liberties. The communications program supports the ACLU?s legislative, public education, and legal programs on a broad range of constitutional issues including but not limited to voting rights, abolition of the death penalty, immigrants? rights, free speech, religious freedom, reproductive rights, and the rights of gay, lesbian bisexual and transgender individuals.
Founded in 1955, the ACLU-KY is located in downtown Louisville, where this position will be housed, but works statewide through volunteer and member engagement. The ACLU-KY has approximately 3,000 members and supporters. Our current staff consists of six full-time members.
To learn more about the work of the ACLU and the civil liberties principles we uphold, please visit www.aclu-ky.org and www.aclu.org
Develop communications strategies
- Collaborate with other staff to develop messaging about specific cases, issues, and programs that aid legal, advocacy, and educational work. Implement strategies that engage members, decision makers and the general public in our work, encouraging them to support our mission to preserve civil liberties. Spearhead multi-media public education campaigns to extend the impact of our advocacy. Work to enhance the visibility of the organization in communities statewide.
Coordinate relations with media
- Build relationships with reporters, editors and bloggers. Write press releases, pitch stories, respond to media inquiries, and coordinate occasional press conferences. Determine appropriate messengers for specific cases, issues, and programs, and serve as ?go-to? spokesperson when others are unavailable. Write and/or edit content for all ACLU-KY publications - including our newsletter, The Torch, the Annual Report, pamphlets, flyers, policy reports, event invitations, and other informational materials.
- Respond rapidly to emerging civil liberties issues with appropriate and influential messaging. Work with ACLU staff and Board of Directors to maintain consistent framing of current issues.
- Help promote ACLU events and activities via social media. Expand and strengthen our social networking presence and youth-focused communications and advocacy efforts.
- Primary staff person responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the ACLU-KY website. Draft news items and blog posts for the website. Coordinate the scheduling and assignments of blogs by other staff. Produce or coordinate production of short videos and podcasts on assigned topics for the website.
Manage the creation of promotional materials for all ACLU events
- Work with volunteer and paid designers to develop invitation packages, publicity posters, and online graphics to be used on the website and in social media. Ensure that photographs are taken of important organizational activities and clients.
- Adhere to branding standards established by the national ACLU that maintain organizational identity.
General staff leadership responsibilities
- Attend ACLU functions such as the annual membership meeting, the Bill of Rights Dinner, occasional Board meetings, and other ACLU events. Assist the Executive Director in maintaining a strong team spirit within the office.
- Bachelor?s degree and/or equivalent combination of
education and experience, including at least three years of related experience. Experience in non-profit, advocacy, or other community-based organizations is valuable.
- Strong commitment to advancing civil liberties
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including good manners and diction.
- Ability to interact confidently and successfully with the media, donors, politicians, and community leaders.
- A confident, business-like and professional presentation.
- Ability to travel throughout the state and to manage and accommodate a work schedule that will include evening and weekend commitments.
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly and precisely. Strength in editing and proofreading.
-Excellent organization and administrative skills: a strong, consistent attention to detail, an organized work style, and the ability to follow through on work assignments with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Ability to work on several projects at various stages of completion.
- Management style that reflects collaboration, delegation of responsibilities, openness, and a commitment to the development of staff and member participation.
- Demonstrated interest in, enthusiasm for, and commitment to the mission and principles of the ACLU.
- Graphic Design experience is valuable.
- Fluency in a second language (especially Spanish) valuable.
The ACLU of Kentucky offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package including paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, pension plan, life and long-term disability insurance and generous paid holidays. The salary for this position will be between $35-50,000, depending on experience.
Please send letter of interest, resume, three professional references, and a business writing sample not to exceed two pages
Communications Manager Search Committee
ACLU of Kentucky
c/o Michael Aldridge
315 Guthrie Street Suite 300
Louisville, KY 40202
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ?Communications Manager? in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
The ACLU of Kentucky is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.