Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Exciting Summer Opportunity With Women's Non-Profit|
|Organization:||Sadie Nash Leadership Project|
|Description:||Faculty teach the coursework component of the Summer Institute in both Newark or New York City, a rigorous program that enables high school aged youth to develop ideas, questions, and concerns as they explore leadership, social justice and activism. We are interested in courses that connect with our mission and also connect with the identities of the young people in SNLP. We are seeking faculty to teach creative and academic classes. Classes take place 2 times a week for 90 minutes per session. Faculty will receive $1,500 for six weeks of teaching and for participating in professional development sessions.
Each Creative and Academic faculty member will:
- attend a mandatory professional development training and orientation on June 25th 2013 and July 2nd 2013
- teach one course twice a week for 6 weeks from July 8th-August 16th 2013 (each class period is
- be available to check-in with students and program staff for at least 1 hour per week outside of class (total time per week: 5-6 hours)
- conclude their course with a project or final presentation at our end of summer celebration on August 9th 2013
We are looking for faculty members who:
- can teach with an understanding of our philosophy and goals, and actively support our mission
- see and respect the students as teachers
- set high expectations for the students
- are fun, interesting, intellectual, engaging and creative
- utilize interactive and innovative activities and teaching strategies that address different learning styles
- ask the students to examine their world critically and through the eyes of a leader
- reflect an awareness of the unique needs of young women in New York City and Newark, New Jersey
If you are interested in serving as Faculty in the Summer Institute, we ask that you submit a:
1. cover letter
3. one-page proposal for the course(s) you are interested in teaching
Your one-page course proposal should be formatted as follows:
- Description: A one to two paragraph description of your course; including whether you would identify your course as a creative, academic, or core class.
- Rationale: A brief rationale as to how the course fits into the overall SNLP mission, philosophy or goals.
- Outcomes: The outcomes you will achieve during the summer program. (We are looking for tangible outcomes such as: What change will occur in knowledge, skills, or attitude? What will students gain, create or learn.)
- Topics: A topic outline for the 12 sessions of the course. You do not need to describe each class, but please show the direction of the course and the topics you expect to cover
It is important to us that you teach something you are passionate about. Please feel free to choose and design class structure, reading materials, projects, and other aspects of the course that you believe will enhance the young women's experience in the classroom. We actively encourage unusual and experimental ways of teaching, and are willing to consider different possibilities. We also highly recommend the majority of the coursework occur within the classroom.
*Positions are available in both New York City, and Newark, New Jersey and placements will be made at the discretion of SNLP. Please only apply if you are willing to work at either site you are placed. Both sites are located close to public transportation.
If you are from New Jersey and/or the Newark area, please make this clear on your application as we are seeking community representation in the Newark program.
We are currently seeking a total of 20 faculty members to work from July 8th to August 16th 2013.
Please note the two additional days for mandatory orientation and training.
The deadline for faculty applications is Monday, March 4, 2013!
NO CALLS PLEASE
SNLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage people of color, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
Email materials to (PDF or Microsoft Word format ONLY, No DocX formats please):
THE SUBJECT LINE: CREATIVE or ACADEMIC FACULTY Please visit our website: www.sadienash.org for more information. Thank you for your interest in our work and in this position!