Feminist Jobs & Internships
|Job Title:||Global Trade Watch Field Organizing Intern|
|Region:||DC Metro Region|
|Description:||Public Citizen serves as the people's voice in the nation's capital. For 40 years, we have proudly championed citizen interests before Congress, the executive branch agencies and the courts, ensuring that all Americans are represented in the halls of power and that our government works for us.
Global Trade Watch is a division of Public Citizen founded in 1995 to promote government and corporate accountability in the globalization and trade arena. At the forefront of national and international globalization struggles, GTW is one of the few progressive organizations focused full-time on these issues.
The field intern will work under the direction of our National Field Director and Senior Field Organizer as a full-fledged member of our staff field team, developing professional online and grassroots organizing skills while helping to lead the fight against corporate globalization and the corporate trade agenda.
While responsibilities and projects will vary, they may include:
1. Outreach to civil society organizations
2. Creating and finding media for online organizing
3. Preparations for awareness-raising events and presentations
4. Attending team staff meetings
5. Assisting with maintaining a national database of activists, organizations and key contacts
6. Other duties as assigned
1. Knowledge: Familiarity with public policy and/or trade issues is a plus
2. Work Experience: Some organizing or advocacy experience required; previous public interest work preferred; online organizing experience is a plus
3. Skills: Basic understanding of internet-based research and general computer skills; some familiarity with databases (preferably Access) desirable; good written and oral communication skills
4. Capabilities: A good talker and a good listener; organized; excited to learn; able to work both individually and as part of a team; performs well under pressure; able adapt to rapidly changing situations; a can-do attitude; and a burning desire to fight corruption.
5. Conditions: Walking two flights of stairs and several blocks to and from congressional offices; Global Trade Watch is a non-smoking workplace.
This internship is UNPAID, though academic credit can be arranged and the grassroots organizing and national-level advocacy experience is not to be missed.
Preference will be given to applicants who can work a minimum of 30 hours per week, and give a minimum 10-week commitment. Specific start and end dates and weekly schedule are negotiable.
Public Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. Public Citizen employees are proud members of SEIU Local 500.
To apply: We accept applications on a rolling basis. Please send a resume and cover letter to Lacey Kohlmoos at email@example.com or Human Resources, Public Citizen, 1600 20th St., NW, Washington, DC 20009. No phone calls.
In your cover letter, please include the following:
* Why you want to work for Global Trade Watch
* A description of your most meaningful organizing/advocacy experience
* Why you oppose the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)