Los Angeles, CA – The Feminist Majority, which has pulled its annual event from the Beverly Hills Hotel — owned by the Sultan of Brunei — will hold a rally at noon on May 5 across from the hotel, to urge the Sultan to rescind a Taliban-like Brunei penal code, that includes the stoning to death of gay men and lesbians and the public flogging of women who have abortions.
The Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah, and the Brunei Investment Agency, owns the Beverly Hills Hotel, the Bel-Air Hotel and other Dorchester Collection Properties. FMF pulled its Global Women’s Rights Awards, co-chaired by Jay and Mavis Leno, from the Beverly Hills Hotel and has launched a massive petition drive and social media campaign calling on the government of Brunei to immediately rescind the new code and asking the United Nations to take action if these laws go into effect as planned.
WHAT: Coalition of Women’s Rights, LGBT and Human Rights Groups Rally
WHEN: Monday May 5, 2014 , 12:00PM – 1:00PM
WHERE: In the Park across from the Beverly Hills Hotel (Sunset Boulevard between North Canon and North Beverly Drive). Street Parking on North Canon, North Beverly Drive and Lomitas Avenue.
WHO: (List in Formation)
- Mavis Leno, Board Member, Feminist Majority Foundation
- Jay Leno
- Eleanor Smeal, President, Feminist Majority Foundation
- Andreas Meyer, President, Equality California EQCA
- Lorri L. Jean, CEO Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Services Center
- Dolores Huerta, President, Dolores Huerta Foundation/Co-Founder, United Farm Workers
- Vince Wong, Vice Chair, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- Betsy Butler, California Women’s Law Center
- Ada Briceno, Secretary-Treasurer, UNITE HERE Local 11
- Katherine Spillar, Executive Editor, Ms. magazine
For Immediate Release
May 2, 2014
Stephanie Hallett 310.556.2500
Brooke Hofhenke email@example.com
Latest posts by Feminist Newswire (see all)
- Judge Orders Anti-Abortion Group to Cease Release of Secretly Recorded NAF Meetings - February 9, 2016
- US Military Generals Support Women’s Inclusion in the Draft - February 8, 2016
- Zika Virus Raises Need for Increased Access to Reproductive Healthcare - February 5, 2016