Join the Feminist Majority and other women’s organizations in opposing the confirmation of Ellen Sauerbrey as Assistant Secretary of State for Population, Refugees and Migration (PRM). Sauerbrey, a Bush crony, has no experience in handling refugee or international crises. A vehement opponent of reproductive rights, if confirmed, Sauerbrey would be working closely with the U.S. Agency for International Development, which administers funds for U.S. international family planning and related programs.
The Senate Foreign Relations Committee needs to hear from you - speak out today!
Sauerbrey should not be confirmed because:
• She does not support women's reproductive rights;
• As Ambassador to the UN Commission on the Status of Women, she has prioritized politics over the needs and rights of women;
• She would be responsible for working with the United Nations, but has said that she is "not terribly interested in the UN because we don't see it as a friendly forum;"
• She has no experience with refugee protection;
• She has no experience with responding to complex humanitarian emergencies.
If your Senator is not on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, please call the committee's leadership:
- Chair Frank Lugar (R-IN) (202) 224-4814
- Ranking Minority Member Joseph Biden (D-DE) 202-224-5042
Senators on Senate Foreign Relations Committee:
- Alaska - Lisa Murkowski (R) 202-224-6665
- California - Barbara Boxer (D) 202-224-3553
- Connecticut - Christopher Dodd (D) 202-224-2823
- Florida - Mel Martinez (R) 202-224-3041
- Florida - Bill Nelson (D) 202-224-6551
- Illinois - Barack Obama (D) 202-224-2854
- Maryland - Paul Sarbanes (D) 202-224-4524
- Massachusetts - John Kerry (D) 202-224-2742
- Minnesota - Norm Coleman (R) 202-224-3244
- Nebraska - Chuck Hagel (R) 202 224-4224
- New Hampshire - John Sununu (R) 202-224-2841
- Ohio - George Voinovich (R) 202-224-2315
- Rhode Island - Lincoln Chafee (R) 202-224-2921
- Tennessee - Lamar Alexander (R) 202-224-4944
- Virginia - George Allen (R) 202-224-4024
- Wisconsin - Russ Feingold (D) 202-224-5323
You have received this email because of your issue in Global Women's Issues. To unsubscribe, please go to http://feminist.org/email/update-preferences_existing.asp.