The Center for Reproductive Rights (CRR) has launched a new campaign called “Draw the Line,” asking Americans to sign a “Bill of Reproductive Rights.” The CRR aims to “deliver a thundering statement” to the U.S. Congress and the President that it is their responsibility to secure reproductive rights as fundamental human rights.
The Bill of Reproductive Rights reads:
”We the people of the United States hereby assert the following as fundamental human rights that no government may deny, and that our governments at every level must guarantee and safeguard for all.
- The right to make our own decisions about our reproductive health and future, free from intrusion or coercion by any government, group, or individual.
- The right to a full range of safe, affordable, and readily accessible reproductive health care-including pregnancy care, preventive services, contraception, abortion, and fertility treatment-and accurate information about all of the above.
- The right to be free from discrimination in access to reproductive health care or on the basis of our reproductive decisions.”
“Draw the Line” addresses continual attacks from politicians on reproductive rights. The CRR has attracted a number of A-list celebrities to promote the Bill, including Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, Amy Poehler, Lisa Kudrow, Sarah Silverman, Billy Crudup, and Caroline Kennedy.
The launch of this campaign marks the 20th anniversary of the CRR, and highlights the upcoming 40th anniversary of the historic Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision on February 5, 2013.
To get involved, individuals can pledge their support by signing the Bill of Reproductive Rights, sharing the campaign on social media, and finally supporting the fight by donating online.
Media Resources: huffingtonpost.com 10/09 ; drawtheline.com 10/09; rhrealitycheck 10/05; motherjones.com 10/09
Latest posts by Feminist Newswire (see all)
- Thousands Marched for Justice in Washington, DC in the Wake of Fatal Police Violence - December 16, 2014
- Federal Lawsuit Challenges the Wisconsin Law That’s Putting Pregnant Women in Prison - December 16, 2014
- Personhood Groups Plan to Launch County and Municipal Measures to Restrict Abortion Access - December 16, 2014