Details of an $85 million settlement were finalized Tuesday in a meeting between the embattled Boston Archdiocese and lawyers for more than 550 alleged victims of priest sex abuse. The agreement, which requires participation from 80 percent of the plaintiffs by October 23, will begin allocating funds to victims in December. With the help of an arbitrator, individual amounts-ranging from $80,000 to $300,000-will be assessed based on the level of abuse suffered, reported the Associated Press.
Plaintiffs’ attorney Jeffrey Newman told WCVB/TheBostonChannel.com, “Our clients are not only pleased to get this over with, they’re very happy with the manner in which it’s been handled by the Archdiocese.” Many credit the church’s recent cooperative tone to the July installment of Archbishop Sean Patrick O’Malley. In August, settlement talks commenced with an initial $55 million offer. According to terms of the agreement, the church will also pay for victims’ therapy.
In related news, the Archdiocese of Seattle earlier this month said it reached a $7.87 million settlement with 15 men, who claimed they had been abused by Rev. James McGreal. McGreal, who served in parishes and hospitals during 1948 to 1988, is purportedly the archdiocese’s biggest offender, facing accusations from 16 people, reported the Seattle Times.