UPDATE (2/28/2013): VICTORY! The House of Representatives decided to stand with students, Native Americans, immigrants, and the LGBT community and passed the Senate inclusive #VAWA in a vote 286-138!
At last the House will vote on the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) today. The reauthorization has been held up by partisan politics for over 500 days. Enough is enough.
Eliminating violence against women is not a partisan issue. We’re speaking up loud and clear: HERvotes urges House Representatives to vote for the bipartisan, inclusive Senate bill today.
We can’t wait any longer: Domestic violence results in over two million injuries every year. Every two minutes, someone in the United States is sexually assaulted. Three women die every day in the United States as the result of domestic violence.
You can make the difference! We invite you to take a brief moment to read the blog posts below (Scroll down). And then, importantly, to help spread the word and keep up the pressure on our elected leaders by sharing the posts below on Facebook, Twitter (with the hashtag #HERVotes), and Pinterest. And be sure to follow @HERvotes on Twitter!
#HERvotes, a multi-organization campaign launched in August 2011, advocates women using our voices and votes to stop the attacks on the women’s movement’s major advances. Part of the #HERvotes blog carnival.
* Congress Must Act Immediately to Reauthorize Federal Legislation to Protect All Victims of Violence, Dara Richardson-Heron, MD, YWCA
* Don’t Be Fooled, Janet Hill, Coalition of Labor Union Women (USW)
* Advocating for an Inclusive VAWA, Amanda Reed, National Organization for Women (NOW)
* This Season’s Paul Ryan? Eric Cantor Takes on VAWA, Terry O’Neill, National Organization for Women (NOW)
* Prioritizing Campus Safety, American Association of University Women
* Victims of Abuse Suffer Each Day an Inclusive VAWA Reauthorization is Delayed or Weakened, Avril Lighty, The Leadership Conference Education Fund
* Whatever Affects One Woman, Affects ALL Women, Bernardita “Beni” Yunis Varas, Young People For
* When Dating Violence Hits Close to Home, Madeline Shepherd, National Council of Jewish Women
* Violence Against Women Act Must Move Forward, National Association of Social Workers
* Join Ashley Greene and Support VAWA, Love Is Respect
* Support VAWA, Love Is Respect
*The Election is Over, Organizing for VAWA Isn’t, Love is Respect
* Servicing Members is Sometimes Sad, Judy Beard, Coalition of Labor Union Women (CLUW)
* House of Representatives Republicans: You Should Represent Women Too, Phyllis Johnson, Coalition of Labor Union Women (CLUW)
*Congress’ Opportunity to Protect All Women From Violence—We Say, Yes!, Cristina M. Finch, Women’s Human Rights Program, Amnesty International USA and Adjunct Law Professor, George Mason University School of Law
*Congress: Pass a VAWA that includes Campus SaVE!, Julia, Break the Cycle
Part of the #HERvotes blog carnival.
Latest posts by Feminist Newswire (see all)
- Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. Employees Testify Against Labor Nominee Puzder at Special Forum - January 12, 2017
- Tennessee Woman Pleads Guilty to Attempted Procurement of a Miscarriage - January 12, 2017
- Senate Passes Budget Resolution that Allows for Repeal of Affordable Care Act - January 12, 2017